I hope you had a lovely weekend. Here in the UK, autumn has definitely arrived with colder temperatures, darker mornings and trees shedding their leaves. So, I hope today’s post will add a little bit of flowery sunshine to your day…
The products originate from the Netherlands and I adore the vibrant colour combinations and cheerfulness of their designs. Here’s a peek at some of their stunning product range, together with a Q&A.
Director of Fifty One Percent, Phil Butler very kindly answered a few questions for me:
When did you start distributing PiP Studio products in the UK?
We launched the full concept of PiP Studio into the UK market at the beginning of spring 2010.
Could you tell us about the background of PiP Studio?
PiP is an extremely talented product designer and founder of PiP Studio based in Amsterdam.
Her inspiration comes from designing products she could never find, but always wanted. She loves family values and through her collections, she encourages people to bring their families together for afternoon tea, outdoor parties and gatherings – making any event a special one.
PiP was born in a small village by the sea as the youngest child of the family. She has three older brothers and a love bird, or to be more specific, a small African parrot from the genus, Agapornis.
The love bird is called Tjommy and it can say its name. Tjommy always sits on her head or shoulder and goes everywhere with her.
PiP’s real name is Anke, but everyone knows her by her nickname. PiP was the first word that she ever spoke and her brothers just started calling her that. The rest of the family soon followed and these days no one knows any different.
After PiP graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts, she bought a dilapidated old Victorian house on the outskirts of town.
There was no longer any paint on the house and the garden was a wilderness, but PiP fell in love with it the moment she saw it. The house’s most unique feature, to her mind, was the intense northerly light that lit it up when the sun shone and that reminded her of the village where she was born.
PiP created a studio in the attic of her house and dubbed it the PiP Studio.
All PiP’s products must meet her motto: ‘Happy Products for Happy People’.
PiP’s style has a warm and almost intimate touchy-feely character. She often uses a mix and match concept with layered patterns and has a sharp eye for tiny details and special finishing touches, combined with a subtle colour palette. Moreover, a product is never ‘stand-alone’, but always an element in a broader concept.
What kind of products are available from the range?
In the relatively short time since she set up her studio, she has created the following collections:
- A bed & bath collection of duvet covers, quilts, cushions, and bath and beach towels;
- A line of school articles with stationery and schoolbags;
- A line of notebooks, photograph albums, writing paper and other attractive writing materials;
- A collection of greeting cards, including a number of Christmas and New Year cards;
- A series of mugs for collectors;
- An extensive collection of wallpaper;
- Two versions of a breakfast service in green/blue and pink/red named ‘Lovebirds’;
- A collection of tableware, table-cloths, runners and napkins for the ‘complete’ table;
- A series of ‘home deco’ cushions;
- A splendid collection of fashion bags
Where are PiP Studio products now on sale in the UK?
We have been very careful who we partner with at retail and we’re delighted to stock the following stores:
- John Lewis
- Oliver Bonas
We also stock independent boutique stores across the country and if you would like to find your closest stockist you can find it easy by just entering your postcode on our store locator page.
What are your plans for the remainder of 2011 and 2012?
We’re not focussing on growing the distribution for this year. Instead, we’re focussing on customer service and a faster and more efficient delivery service. Since August, we’ve changed to a limited company with a completely new set of values that ‘deliver happiness everyday’.
We’re a small, but talented team, based in our orchard in Leicestershire and we follow the following values in life as we do in work.
- Welcome, embrace and drive change
- Create fun and encourage laughter
- Be open-minded, think ‘out of the box’ and be adventurous
- Build honest and open relationships using clear communication
- Listen, be patient and kind
- Be passionate and determined
- Do more with less
- Pursue growth and learning
- Work as a team, the value of a mistake is to change
- Be humble
Regarding plans for 2012, we have some exciting things happening:
- For Spring/Summer 2012, we’re introducing two new brand concepts into the UK: a) At Home with Marieke Home and b) Essenza – Bed & Bath.
- We’re also introducing a completely new collection of Emma Bridgewater Home products including bedding, bathrobes and towels.
- For Autumn/Winter 2012, we’re launching PiP Studio Nightwear which is just lovely and also new collections of all the existing categories.
Many thanks to Phil for all his help in putting this post together. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading it and if you’ve been watching the excellent Great British Bake Off television series lately, you may have seen some of the PiP Studio products being used!
(Images : PiP Studio)