On Saturday, I returned from a wonderful holiday in Salcombe in South Devon. We go there every year, rent a self-catering cottage and meet up with friends. With a mixture of days chilling on the beach or if the weather was a little iffy, going on a coastal walk…it was just what I needed. I LOVE spending time by the sea and I’ve come back feeling energised and so excited about the ideas I’ve had, which I plan to action over the coming weeks.
Going on holiday is the only time that I completely switch off from social media, cease updating Flowerona and don’t check emails. This frees up time to read business books and think about how I can refresh Flowerona. And obviously spend lots of time catching up with friends, going out for lovely meals, having barbecues and listening to live bands!
Admittedly, when I first started having a digital detox whilst on holiday a couple of years ago, I was concerned at the impact that it may have on my business. But, to date, nothing drastic has happened. And it’s now something I do, without fail, every time we go away.
Here are my top tips on how to have a digital detox, especially if you’re a sole trader like me…
HOW TO HAVE A DIGITAL DETOX WHILST ON HOLIDAY
1. Two weeks before, advise people you work closely with of the dates that you’ll be on holiday, in case there’s anything that they need to chat through with you beforehand.
2. Clear your email inbox completely before you go away.
3. Set up your Out of Office’ email auto responder with your mobile phone number, just in case someone needs to contact you urgently.
4. If you find it hard to resist checking your emails on your mobile phone when you’re on holiday, lock it in the safe in your room (if there is one) and only switch your phone on once a day to see if there are any missed calls or voicemails.
5. If tempted, remind yourself how much more relaxed and re-energised you’ll be if you switch off. So many creative ideas will come to you when your head isn’t full of things you need to action.
I feel it’s SO important to unplug now and again…to recharge and come back refreshed, very often looking at things with new eyes. With the school holidays shortly about to start here in the UK, will you be unplugging too? I highly recommend it.
Here are a few more photos from my holiday…
P.S. I know it’s Wednesday and Flowerona Tips are normally on a Tuesday, but I’ll be back to my normal weekly schedule from Friday. 🙂
(Images : Rona Wheeldon | Flowerona)