I hope you’re having a lovely Bank Holiday weekend. Today’s post came about from speaking to a lady last week who currently reads my blog via Twitter, where I post links of each new post I write.
She asked my advice on the best way to read blogs as she said that sometimes, she’ll look at a blog post via a Twitter link, find the blog interesting but then may not go back to it again, as she’s not sure of how to read blogs regularly.
So, I promised that I’d write a post about my take on how to keep up-to-date with your favourite blogs.
(And I couldn’t write a post without including some flowers – so these beautiful images are from Swedish photographer, Denise Gruenstein.)
Back to reading blog posts, I’m going to cover two ways:
1) Sign up to receive blog posts via email
Lots of blogs, including Flowerona, offer you a way to sign up to receive blog posts via email.
So, every time a new post is written, you receive it as an email in your inbox, which means that you can read it whenever you wish.
And I’d like to share with you some lovely comments from two of my readers :
‘I love receiving your updates by email-a little bit of flowery sunshine in my inbox!’
‘Love receiving your blog via email-gives me a boost when a break is needed!’
Here are step-by-step instructions, if you’d like to sign up to receive Flowerona blog posts:
- On the right hand side of the Flowerona home page, you’ll see a box that says, Subscribe, and in it, there’s an email option.
- Simply click on email.
- Enter your email address in the box provided.
- Enter the letters for the spam filter and click on Complete Subscription Request.
You’ll then receive an email from Feedburner Email Subscriptions, the service that delivers blog posts via email for Flowerona, asking you to activate your subscription.
Simply open the email and click on the link in the email to activate your subscription. If you don’t see a confirmation e-mail in a reasonable amount of time, please check your bulk/spam folder.
There’s nothing more you need to do…now you’ll receive Flowerona posts every time I write a new one, which is currently Monday-Friday.
For other blogs, simply look on their home page for a ‘Subscribe’ option and follow the instructions.
2) Google Reader
If you read lots of blogs, then you may like to use Google Reader. It’s a tool for gathering and reading all your favourite blogs and it uses RSS technology.
RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication and RSS feeds are a way for blogs and websites to distribute new content as it becomes available.
If you don’t already have a Google Account:
- Go to www.google.com/reader.
- Click on Create an account and follow the instructions.
If you already have a Google Account:
- Go to www.google.com/reader.
- Enter your Email and Password, and click on Sign In.
To add your favourite blogs
- Go to the blog and copy the URL. E.g. www.flowerona.com
- Then go to Google Reader and click on Add a subscription in the top left hand corner and paste in the blog URL.
- You’ll then see the blog appear in the left hand column under Subscriptions.
- If there are new posts to read, the blog name will appear in bold with a number in brackets next to it. E.g. Flowerona (2)
- Just click on the blog name and you’ll see the posts in the right hand column.
I’ve saved Google Reader as a favourite in my browser and tend to look at it every day.
Both options enable you to keep up-to-date with your favourite blogs, instead of having to repeatedly check them for updates. So why not print out this post and either sign up to receive posts from your favourite blogs via email or use Google Reader?
I’m sure other readers have their own preferred ways of reading blogs. Do leave a comment below and let me and Flowerona readers know what you find works best for you…
(Images : Denise Gruenstein)